Thursday, May 3, 2012

Infinity Scarf

Mum sent me a package for my birthday and included two items of clothing. Sadly, while I love the prints, the fit and style of both the trousers and dress really aren't quite me. Nearly, but missing the mark somehow...  But I didn't want to donate them or throw them out, so I put on my thinking cap and came up with a plan. The dress will be cut down to make a maxi skirt (it's a really pretty African-inspired print, but that's a post for another day) when I get time. And a zipper. However the trousers were a really easy conversion. Originally they looked like this...
 To be honest I didn't even try them on before deciding to sacrifice them to the Gods of Craft. The fabric is super flimsy, the waist is elasticated, and when combined with my size 10 bum that's not going to be a great look. Besides, they're a regular inseam and that is NEVER long enough on my 5'10'' frame.
 However, I kind of love the print, even if my photography stinks today. It's raining, I'll blame that.... I'd seen a couple of tutorials online to make infinity scarves from flannel pyjamas, so the transformation became obvious. I started to do things the hard way; unpicking the seams, then when I realised that was a waste of energy I cut off the waistband with my rotary cutter (or, Current Favourite Toy) and carefully cutting off the pockets and crotch seam, before I figured out that in order for things to line up properly I needed two simple tubes with no fancy schmancy shape, so with the aid of my trusty cutter I lopped the tops off to create to tubes with straight edges. Putting one tube inside the other right sides together I pinned and then stitched around the top to create one long tube. I unpicked the hem at the cuff to make the scarf a teensy bit longer but that was probably an unnecessary step, then pinned and stitched this too, remembering to leave a gap of about 2 inches to turn the scarf right-side out. Once it's right side out, carefully stitch the hole closed (which probably means, don't use bright green thread on black and gold fabric like I did, it looks a little silly...) Et voila, one infinity scarf made by my own fair hands...
 The fabric is 100% viscose; I usually hate the feel of synthetics but it's incredibly soft and lightweight. I can see myself getting tons of wear out of this in the summer.
As for the creation on the dress form, that's an unfinished project for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment